Monday 15 March 2010

The Inclusion Health Report, and a trip to Buck House

It’s been an interesting fortnight – like most fortnights – with a lot of variety.

Last Thursday we hosted the launch of a landmark report, 'Inclusion Health', which looks at the role of primary care in addressing the needs of our socially disadvantaged and harder to reach groups.

New analysis by the Social Exclusion Taskforce in the Cabinet Office and the Department of Health in England shows that despite the progress we have made in healthcare, people such as the homeless, those with learning disabilities, people leaving prison and sex workers, are still finding it difficult to access the services they need, often with life limiting results.

My reasons for wanting to be a GP are the same today as when I was at school – I wanted to make a difference and help people less fortunate than myself. It’s something that’s really driven me throughout my career. Working in a particularly deprived area is so rewarding, but incredibly frustrating. We have lots of disadvantaged groups and I still feel we can do more to reach out and make sure we are providing the care they need and helping them live as long and healthy lives as possible.

We’ve acknowledged the need for clinical leadership and I’m delighted to have been asked to chair the new National Inclusivity Board. We need to think differently about disadvantaged groups and I’m determined that high quality general practice plays a key role in improving such poor outcomes.


Photograph © FreeFoto.com  

Last Wednesday will stand as one of the highlights of my career, and I was enormously humbled and honoured to go to Buckingham Palace to pick up my CBE. It was a wonderful day for both myself, and for my family, who came with me. I must confess that, although meeting the Queen is something that doesn’t happen every day, I was even more excited to meet ex-England football captain Jimmy Armfield, one of my childhood heroes. It’s difficult, when surrounded by people who have done so many great things for disadvantaged people, not to feel like a fraud collecting an honour, but this prize is not just for me, it’s recognition for the College, for Bellevue Medical Centre, and for all of us GPs, and the hard work we do every day.

Last week I was also summoned to give evidence to the Health Select Committee on the use of overseas doctors in providing out-of-hours services. The tragic case in Cambridgeshire served to highlight the unacceptable variance in OOH care across the country, and we must all work together to ensure that, regardless of where patients live, they can expect to receive a universally excellent quality of care from a competent doctor whether it’s day- or night time.

I had some fantastic trainees shadowing me last week, and once again I have been so impressed with the enthusiasm and willingness to learn demonstrated by our Associates in Training. I’ve been trying to reach out to the younger members and it’s been great to see so many take up my offer to spend a day at the college. What’s more, it’s fantastic having these keen, young doctors around, and so rewarding to give them an insight into the other side of general practice.

Thanks as always for your support. I value your opinions and feedback enormously, and I urge you to get in touch if you have any comments or questions for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment